Gifted Genius Prep NYC
I'm Mei, NYS certified to teach Prek-8th grade. We believe that all children can succeed with the right support.
Photos and videos
Frequently asked questions
What is your typical process for working with a new student?
1. Ask parents/caregivers for report cards, H.W., tests, etc. to understand students' strengths and areas of need.
2. Conduct a free 30-45 minute assessment.
3. Type up a report/education plan.
4. Tutor student while keeping communication open with parents/caregivers, and school staff.
What education and/or training do you have that relates to your work?
I have 3 education degrees that led to certification.
General Education (1-6 Grade)
TESOL/ESL (Prek- Adult)
Spanish (PreK-6 Grade)
Do you have a standard pricing system for your lessons? If so, please share the details here.
Complimentary consultation and assessment. Sessions start at $25 for 30 minutes. Then you pay as you go after each session (by midnight). No contract.
How did you get started teaching?
I started teaching while I was in college studying elementary education. I have gained over 10 years of experience teaching in public schools, charter schools, tutoring centers, and now the founder/lead tutor of my tutoring company.
What types of students have you worked with?
I have extensive experience with Students with Special Needs, English Language Learners, and Gifted Students. They range from age 3- adult. My expertise is with ages 4-12 years old or PreK-6th grade.
Describe a recent event you are fond of.
I'm very humbled to share that one of my 2nd graders that I tutor jumped from level F to a letter M in just about 6 months. Another accomplishment is that my 5th grade student aced her Math exam with high 90s while before she was only getting 60s before tutoring.
What advice would you give a student looking to hire a teacher in your area of expertise?
The advice I would give a student seeking to hire a teacher is to believe they can excel and don't feel ashamed for investing in their academia.
What questions should students think through before talking to teachers about their needs?
1. What are my current areas of strengths an d what are the areas I need the most support with?
2. How often should I take classes?
3. How long of a session do I perform the best at? (30 mins, 45 mins, 60 mins, 75 mins, 90 mins)?
4. Do I prefer in person or online/virtual?