My current students range from 3rd Grade to Juniors in high school. In all cases, their grades are now higher after I began to help them. Then there are adults with requests for assistance in a variety of subjects.
I bring to my students my engineering background that differs from what many students get from their teachers. Basically, whenever possible, I show them more than one way to work a math problem. Reason? Because all students think differently so my goal is to give them an opportunity to choose one way that helps them solve it. I tell my students, if your way works for you, then continue to use it.
However, if your method doesn't give you the grade you want, you should try something different.
I love teaching. I started teaching electronics in a business school while I was working on my engineering degree. I continued throughout my engineering career - before I became a high school math teacher.
Now I am a tutor. My biggest thrill comes when my students happily come to me with their latest grade on their math test. I ask them, how does this grade compare to what they usually get. When they reply it's the highest they have ever gotten, I think, gee, I really helped them. Needless to say, their parents are thrilled.
TUTORING and TEACHING EXPERIENCE
Private Tutor: 2010-present
• 4thGrade through post-graduate students in math
• High school students in ACT, SAT, and ASVAB.
• Adults in writing, editing, and other subjects
St. Michael’s Catholic Academy: 2001-2010
• Taught: Pre-Algebra, Algebra 2, Pre-AP Algebra 2, and AP Statistics
I have found that each student, regardless of age (middle school, high school or even post-secondary) is a unique person who has their own learning style. The key to successful learning via tutoring is to identify that style and use it motivate the student to gain knowledge.
\There are two major components to my teaching style: whenever possible:
1. provide more than one way to solve a problem; and
2. use real-world examples to make visual connections to math problems
• Developed and taught adult short courses on topics related to Semiconductor manufacturing technology for ten years
• Taught courses that trained engineers, technicians, maintenance personnel, and operators in ion implanter operation, maintenance, and process control for 20 years
• Taught courses on electronics technology at a business college. Developed and taught a laboratory to supplement these courses
• M. A. (Developmental & Adult Education), Texas State University at San Marcos. Graduated Summa Cum Laude (2008)
• Texas 8-12 Mathematics Teaching Certificate (2005–2016)
• BSEE, University of Texas at Austin
• B.A. (Mathematics), University of Texas at Austin
Chuck has the unique ability to meet learners where they are at. My daughter had missed most of sixth grade due to illness and was feeling like she’d never catch up. Chuck has not only been able to bring her up to speed but has increased her confidence in math. She smiles at me and says, “Mom! I get it!” We are so grateful!
He is very knowledgeable and personable. Always punctual and checks in before school breaks to see if we would like to have a session or skip. He is able to relate really well with my son and we have had him tutor our oldest daughter and now our son. He has been our families tutor for 4 years now. We can't imagine having anyone else tutor our children in math and engineering.
1. I talk with the parents (or the adult student) to make sure I understand why they have asked me to be their tutor. We also talk about payments.
2. I have a chat with the student about themselves and what they want me do to help them.
3. I go over the ground rules - which are designed to ensure our communication lines are always open:
• If I go too fast, just let me know.
• If I go too slow, just let me know.
• As we review homework, just let me know if you already know how to answer a specific question or work a problems.
• Always don't hesitate to ask questions.
• 25 year career as a process engineer in the semiconductor technology industry.
• 9 years teaching Pre-Algebra, Algebra 2, and Pre-AP Algebra 2 at St. Michael's Catholic Academy in Austin, Texas.
• 10 years as a tutor over various math topics, writing, editing, English and a number of other subject
• At WyzAnt.com, I am qualified to tutor 30 subjects
Standard rate is $50 per hour for most subjects. With substantive writing or editing, we will have to discuss a fair charge for my work.