I received my Ph.D. from Columbia University in 2017 and was a full-time Visiting Lecturer at Columbia from 2017-2018. I now teach writing and literature at the City University of New York.
CURRENT PREFERRED SUBJECTS
- English: essay writing and revision.
- General humanities and social sciences. I have experience teaching in Columbia's Core Curriculum.
- English as foreign language (all levels).
- Spanish (all levels).
- GRE verbal prep.
I hold a Ph.D. from Columbia in Comparative Literature and Latin American Cultures (2017), an M.A. in Humanities and Social Thought from New York University (2009), and a B.A. in English Literature, with a minor in World Religions, from McGill University.
I have a strong record of scholarly publication and 7 years of college teaching experience at Columbia University, Marymount Manhattan College, and the City University of New York. I also have experience working with high school students.
STUDENT COMMENTS (from Columbia University teaching evaluations)
• What is [Anne] doing at Columbia? She is far too lively, friendly, and adept at teaching to fit in with the rest of our professors. Nevertheless, while [Anne] is here, you really ought to take her class. She drove energetic class discussions with the experience of a professor far beyond her years."
• [Anne] is an excellent instructor and one of the best teachers I've encountered at Columbia. She's extremely smart... This is hard to put into words, but sometimes I come to class a bit fuzzy about what I'm supposed to get out of the readings, and listening to her quickly makes me go "Aha!" She also gives students plenty of space to discuss and develop their ideas, but does so in a structured way that I appreciate: daily recaps of the last class, framework discussion questions, etc. She's also just super nice and understanding.
• Anne is very knowledgeable and organized compared to other PhD or masters student- professors I've had in the past. Although some of the readings were extremely heavy, I enjoyed the political aspects of the texts and how we connected them to the various forms of government we observe in Latin America today. I liked the course, and the reading was interesting.
• [Anne] was very knowledgeable about every text we read, and she was a very engaging, fun instructor to have. Class discussion flowed smoothly and it was easy to get involved with discussion of each text.
• Great instructor, very friendly and helpful.
• She is extremely knowledgeable, prepared and considerate. I appreciated that she was willing to correct us when we misremembered a text (this doesn't always happen in Core classes).
• Very insightful and critically demanding.
• I feel I have really learned a lot in a deep critical/analytically way. I feel much more confident in the topic.
• [Anne] is amazing. She is clearly passionate about the subject and is very dedicated to our small night class (T,R,F 7:40 - 9pm). She is immediate with emails and is always available to meet outside.
• Before enrolling in the course, I was not too certain of how interested I really was in learning Spanish. I am not a student in Columbia College, so language is not a requirement for me. However, I'm so glad that I did, and now I often try to say things in my day to day life en Español, or to translate lines which I know how to say in Spanish after I say them in English. I've also come to realize how much fun it is to be able to say the same things in a new language (until now I had only known English) and really enjoy pronouncing Spanish words with the best Spanish accent I can produce. Thank you for a wonderful semester!
In addition to teaching English and Spanish, I am passionate about helping students to develop the craft of academic writing across the disciplines. I have experience teaching literature as well as general humanities and social theory courses.
There are no reviews yet
American Literature Tutors AP English Tutors British Literature Help Tutors Classics Tutors College Essays Help Tutors English Tutors English Literature Tutors ESL Tutors Essay Editing Tutors Essay Writing Tutors Ethics Training Tutors Expository Writing Lessons Grammar Tutors Humanities Tutors Literary Analysis Tutors Literature Tutors Medieval Literature Tutors Philosophy Tutors Proofreading Tutors Religion Classes