I specialize in helping students with:
- Essay writing & revising
- Academic writing
- Creative writing, especially fiction and poetry
- English conversation practice
- Reading comprehension
- Resume & cover letter writing
& so much more!
- MY TRAINING: As a published poet and an alum of both the University of Oxford (MSt in Creative Writing) and Amherst College (BA in English), I've personally experienced excellent teaching in action, and I have a passion for making English language and literature accessible and enjoyable for each and every one of my students.
- MY EXPERIENCE AS A WRITING COACH: I have 3 years of experience as a Writing Specialist at Thinktown Education, where I've edited over 1,000 drafts of college application essays from non-native English speakers. This has given me invaluable insight into common errors which students make at all stages of the writing process. I've also had lots of practice helping students express and refine their own unique ideas, in their own words, from their point of view.
- MY INTERNATIONAL EXPOSURE: I've been educated at top institutions in the US, the UK, Argentina, and Jamaica, and I've worked extensively with students from Latin America and China. This diverse exposure has made me very comfortable working with both local and international students to meet a wide range of educational needs and interests.
The most rewarding aspect of tutoring is undoubtedly the look on a student's face when the light bulb turns on, regardless of how "small" the accomplishment. Whether a student grasps a grammatical concept they've been struggling with, or writes a fantastic essay for the first time, or even manages to pronounce a single sentence perfectly, I consider it a privilege to be a part of that learning process.
Lauren was extremely helpful in helping my daughter bring out her ideas and is working with her to get comfortable in building outlines for better output in her writing.
1) We'll have an initial meeting to identify your goals and challenges, and also to make sure that we're a good fit!
2) Then I'll send you a curriculum tailor-made just for you so we can make sure we're on the same page. Depending on your goals, the curriculum will consist of a mix of readings, writing assignments, and exercises designed to fit your personal needs and schedule.
3) We'll meet online regularly, as often as you like, to review homework and discuss any areas which you find challenging.
- University of Oxford | Oxford, UK (2017-2019)
Master of Studies in Creative Writing, specialising in poetry
- Amherst College | Amherst, MA, USA (2010-2014)
Bachelor of Arts in English, with a concentration in fiction writing and filmmaking
- IFSA-Butler University | Buenos Aires, Argentina (2012-2013)
Studied film and literature for two semesters at various universities in Buenos Aires
Writing Specialist, Thinktown Education Inc. (2016-Present)
- I've remotely edited 1,000+ essay drafts to date for international students applying to US colleges.
- I ensure that my feedback is constructive and direct without writing the essay for the student.
- I craft highly detailed, actionable criticism according to a multi-tiered editing approach, analysing content, structure, language, and mechanics, over an average 5-7 drafts per essay.
- High school students in 8th, 9th, and 12th grade
- Adult ESL students from Latin America
1) What do I find most challenging about this subject?
2) Are there any particular topics or concepts which confuse me?
3) What new skills do I want to develop, and why?
4) What skills and qualifications am I looking for in a teacher, and which of these is most important?