Credentials: 15 years tutoring experience
Teaching Credential, English
MA, Journalism, Columbia University
MPA, Public Policy, Columbia University
BA, International Relations, American University
My tutoring practice in Los Angeles, New York City (Columbia University) and Washington, DC (American University) spans over 15 years. In each session, I tutor with rigor, compassion and a bit of humor to complete the daily assignment and teach study skills. I help a student learn how to learn, which is the entire point of school.
My standards are high. I attended Harvard-Westlake School, a prestigious college prep school, American University and Columbia University.
Over the years, I have worked with high achieving and average students, and with students with ADD and learning issues.
I fell in love with teaching one-on-one and discovered a talent for adapting to each student’s learning style. It is so rewarding to see a student evolve form doing poorly or being afraid of the subject, to achievement and confidence.
This new confidence then touches everything in the student’s life. Good grades are the result of positive reinforcement & efficient study habits.
At Columbia University, I became a specialist in both TEST PREP and WRITING. I worked with a range of students on essays, from Freshmen through Ph.D. candidates.
I created a method to help students detach from their fear of writing. My system:
1. Fun warm-up up writing exercises to unleash creativity without judgement.
2. Writing an outline (most students skip this, but it is essential for an A paper.)
3. Creating a rough draft from the outline. (I suggest waiting a day or two before writing the final draft. This relaxes the student so he or she can finish the final draft with fresh eyes.)
4. Final revision.
To write well, one must read excellent writing. I encourage students to read major newspapers and novels. This is also the best way to prepare for verbal portions of standardized tests such as the ISEE, the SAT and AP Exams.
During my Teaching Credential program at CSUN, I learned how to write lesson plans. If I am working with a student for several sessions, I write out lesson plans, or an entire unit plan.
I usually suggest trying one session with a student, to see if I am the right tutor. I welcome speaking with parents and teachers as well!
Please see above, this is answered.
Lisa-Beth is a professional and very knowledgeable in her field of teacher/tutor/writer. Her tutoring helped my daughter go from a C to an A in English, and she scored very high on her SAT! We definitely highly recommend Lisa-Beth.
Lisa-Beth was professional, easy to understand, had great ideas and perfectly helped me to accomplish my goals!
1. First, I talk with both the student and the parent. I find out how the student is doing, and what the obstacles are. I also speak withe teachers, if the parents request it.
2. Next, I review how the student is studying and organizing their materials. Often, this is as much of an issue as academic difficulty.
I offer study skills and organizational skills at the outset. 15 years of tutoring has taught me the value of focusing first on these things. When the student feels in control of how to study and how to manage their materials, he or she can relax enough to focus on the material.
3. Then we dive into the material. I watch how thte student thinks, and look for a way to connect the subject to the student.
4. In each session, I work on both the material and study skills.
5. After these steps, each session is personalized for the student. I use a variety of methods based on my education at Harvard-Westllake, my 15 years of experience and from my Teaching Credential.
American Literature Tutors AP English Tutors British Literature Help Tutors College Essays Help Tutors Creative Writing Tutors English Tutors English Literature Tutors ESL Tutors Essay Editing Tutors Essay Writing Tutors Expository Writing Lessons Fiction Writing Tutors Grammar Tutors Handwriting Tutors ACT Prep Tutors ACT English Tutors ACT Reading Help Tutors ACT Test Prep ACT Writing Help Tutors African-American History Tutors