My name is Megan and I am a recent graduate from UC Berkeley. I have been working with students personally and professionally for the past 8 years. The past year I have been working for a prominent AP and College Prep company that caters to ESL students. There, I have been able to fine-tune my skills in
- College Counseling, Application and Essay Writing
- SAT & ACT Reading, Grammar, and Writing
- AP/IB Lit/Lang, World, Euro, US History, and Art History
- Persuasive and Creative writing for students as young as 7
- Private School / Summer Program Applications
So far my students have been accepted as Regents to UC Berkeley as well as early decision to Ivy League colleges such as Brown and Columbia.
I believe that what makes me an effective tutor is that I genuinely care for each one of my students. I get to know their interests and motivations, their fears and anxieties, and I cater my lessons and teaching style to get the most from - and give the most to - each student. I also find that since I'm still pretty young, many students feel comfortable having fun with me, which makes the process of learning enjoyable!
There are no reviews yet
For new students, I like to spend some time during our first session just chatting to get to know who they are and what they like so that I can tailor my teaching style and activities to their unique needs. My first exercise with most students (unless they have set work to do) is to supply them with a reading passage, comprehension questions, and a free-write section. This gives me a pretty good overall picture of their reading and comprehension level, critical thinking skills, handle of grammar, and ability to communicate their thoughts effectively in writing. With this one exercise, I can design a few lessons that address their individual needs.
I got my first job 10 years ago, at 13, as a swim instructor and assistant coach. Throughout middle school, high school, and even college, I worked with and mentored students of all ages, in a variety of subjects.
I graduated from UC Berkeley nearly a year ago, and have been working with a prominent Bay Area Test Prep and College Counseling company. Here, I have gained experience as a
- College Counselor and Essay Editor, guiding students through the college application process, and giving them the tools and assurance they need to write compelling personal statements. Many of my students have returned to tell me that after working with me, they were able to transfer the skills they learned to other aspects of their life and studies.
- SAT/ACT/AP/IB teacher, who in the past year has taken nearly 20 separate SAT and ACT's with my students. I know these tests inside and out, and can help your student conquer them.
- Persuasive (rhetorical) Essay Writing
I got starting teaching because I was good in school and other people felt comfortable coming to me for help. The more people came to me, and left feeling confident in the material, the more I realized that this may just be something that I'm good at.
In the past year, my work has been focused on ESL students, or students who have recently moved to America.
My kitten just learned to play fetch! She loves running after her favorite stuffed soap, strutting around with it in her mouth, and dropping it into my hand to run after it again.
Often times, kids don't want to be in tutoring. They go to school all day, and they don't want to do any more. So my advice would be, find a tutor you actually want to spend time with, find a tutor you think is interesting, and find a tutor that you want to make proud, and who wants to make YOU feel proud. This turns learning into something you do for someone else, into something the student does out of their own motivation.
American Literature Tutors AP English Tutors College Essays Help Tutors Creative Writing Tutors English Tutors English Literature Tutors Essay Editing Tutors Essay Writing Tutors Grammar Tutors Literary Analysis Tutors Persuasive Writing Tutors Proofreading Tutors Reading Tutors Vocabulary Tutors Writing Tutors Technical Writing Training Speech Tutors